12th October 2023
DB2 Database Administrator
London - Canary Wharf
Up to £75,000 per annum
DB2 Database Administrator
Docklands, London (Hybrid)
Up to £75,000 per annum + annual discretionary bonus
On behalf of a Leading financial services client, I am seeking a DB2 DBA to provide 2nd line operational support for the internal Middleware, and DB2 database infrastructure and systems in the company’s 24×7 hosted environment.
Due to the organisation operating a Hybrid work model, you must be within commutable distance of their Docklands offices and willing to be office based at least 1 day per week. The role is primarily standard office hours with 1 week in 7 on an early shift (7am – 3pm).
- Provide operational shift support for the IBM DB2 Server database environment. Responsibilities include database backup/restores, daily checks, maintenance tasks and building new database instances and applying service packs. Manage and escalate problems as appropriate.
- Investigate defects or problems, work with internal Development team and external vendors to identify solutions and support any fixes that are required as part of service improvement.
- Follow the Change Management procedure and other standard practices in installing, configuring and supporting databases and related items in Test and Production environments.
- Ensure that the BAU Service is prioritised and all faults, incidents and problems are responded to in an efficient manner without negatively impacting SLAs and reporting metrics in place.
- IBM DB2 Performance tuning analysis and alerting.
- Work with Security Analysts to develop new DB2 security policy, tablespace.
- Install, upgrade or maintain software at a time when the impact to the business is minimised.
- Execute the failover for the database and application services as required. Participate in regular Disaster Recovery testing activities.
- Create, maintain and review operational process and support documentation.
- Provide 24/7 on-call cover on a rotational shift basis.
- Participate in planned weekend work as required.
- Production operational support experience for IBM DB2 within and enterprise Linux/AIX environment.
- Must have an understanding of database disaster recovery/high availability technologies including SAN replication, HADR, QRep, VVR.
- Ability to plan and implement technical changes without unexpected disruption to the service and with some oversight.
- Ability to write Korn/AWK Shell Scripts for database maintenance and monitoring.
- Database performance tuning we use appropriately sized bufferpools, clustered indexes for heavy sort activity, one materialized query table (MQT), indexes, and daily reorgs on some tables
- Experience of providing production support activities for business-critical databases/applications.
- Good documentation and technical writing skills.
- Must have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in working with ITSM ticket systems such as Support Works or Remedy and an understanding of priorities and SLA’s.
- Knowledge of ITIL framework (understanding of Incident, Problem, Change).
Consultant - Brendan Connolly
Telephone: 0207 392 7512
Share This Position